Oil refinery ‘will save SA billions’

first_img Source: BuaNews 18 October 2010 The proposed Mthombo crude oil refinery will help South Africa escape from the “dependency trap” of having to import refined automotive products, ultimately saving the country billions of rands, says President Jacob Zuma. At the same time, the refinery, to be built at the Coega Industrial Development Zone near Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Cape, would showcase South Africa’s competitive ability to its counterparts globally. Construction on the refinery, which will be the biggest in Africa, is expected to start in 2012, which would bring the refinery on stream by 2015. The US$11-billion refinery, which would have a 400 000 barrel a day capacity, is meant to ensure security of fuel supply in South Africa. The country is currently dependent on international oil companies to provide for its liquid fuel energy needs. “With Project Mthombo, this country stands to save an estimated R12.6-billion a year in energy costs once the refinery is running, and could export oil across Africa,” Zuma said last week. Zuma was speaking during a visit to PetroSA’s gas-to-liquid refinery in Mossel Bay in the Western Cape. The visit by Zuma and Energy Minister Dipuo Peters was to obtain a first-hand account of PetroSA’s operations, his office said. “We welcome the fact that PetroSA is making its impact, not only in job creation but in empowering the people as well. It employs close to 2 000 people, while 27 500 more will be absorbed within the crude oil refinery that is planned,” Zuma said. Zuma welcomed the impressive growth of PetroSA following its successful merger of Mossgas, Soekor and parts of the Strategic Fuel Fund in 2002. PetroSA is reaching markets in Europe, the United States, Caribbean, Middle East and Far East, which Zuma said was an important achievement. He also commended the National Oil Company for the role it was playing in reducing the country’s dependence on imported refined fuel. last_img read more

Afcon safety, security systems ‘in place’

first_img28 November 2012South Africa has put effective plans in place to ensure a safe and secure 2013 Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) tournament, Deputy Police Minister Maggie Sotyu told reporters in Pretoria on Tuesday.“Everything is in place with regards to security; we started planning as early as May this year, [and] both national and international screening with regard to all participating 16 teams has been completed,” Sotyu said.“Security will be provided to all the participating teams including Bafana Bafana 24/7. We will strengthen security at all ports of our entry during this period, especially our borders, airports, seaports and land ports of entry.“All the teams will be escorted from the airport to their respective hotels; teams will also be escorted from their hotels to their training venues 24/7 to make sure that they are safe,” she said.Sotyu also said permanent police officers would be deployed to all the hotels where the national teams will be staying.She said Home Affairs was ready to handle the movement of both people and goods at the ports of entry.“We also have our own police officers that we’ve trained with regard to assistance at the ports of entry in case we need more man power,” she said.“Buses carrying players will be escorted by the police all the times; each and every movement of the buses carrying the teams will be provided with security by the police.”Dedicated investigators for criminal casesWith regard to criminal cases during the tournament, Sotyu said that unlike the 2010 Fifa World Cup there wouldn’t be special courts for criminal activities, but there would be dedicated investigators who will focus on the cases that happen during the tournament.While there would be the normal procedure of handling the cases, she said criminal cases committed during the tournament will always be prioritised in the courts of law.Police were going to make sure that they control the crowd in and outside the stadiums.Chairperson of the National Joint Intelligence Structure, Lieutenant-General Elias Mawela, said part of their security concept to effectively deal with any form of hooliganism in the stadiums was also in place.“Part of our security concept to deal with hooliganism in and around the stadiums includes ensuring that we put ‘spotters’ among the spectators to identity the so- called hooligans, remove them from the stadium and take them into police custody.“We will ensure that the intelligence community that we are working with in the region, through the Southern African Regional Police Chief Council Organisation (Sarpcco) and Interpol, will also assist us with the movement of the people who will be coming to our country for the tournament,” he said.Sarpcco is an official forum comprising all the police chiefs from southern Africa.“We are not going to drop the standards which we’ve created in dealing with all the major events that we host in our country,” he said.Should the security guards, who will be working at the stadiums, decide to embark on an illegal strike like they did during the 2010 Fifa World Cup, General Mawela said: “We have plan D and even plan E.”“We have a reserve group at a national level who can be moved around the country at any given time and we also have the contingency funds whereby we will ensure that people will be moved around head office to whatever affected stadium. We will never have any problem with regards to this issue.”South Africa will host the tournament from 19 January to 10 February 2013.Source: SANews.gov.zalast_img read more

Harris scores 23 points as Nuggets beat Knicks

first_imgNew York Knicks guard Courtney Lee, left, stops Denver Nuggets guard Gary Harris as he drives to the basket in the second half of an NBA basketball game Thursday, Jan. 25, 2018, in Denver. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski)DENVER — Gary Harris gave his bruised right foot a final test during pregame warmups and determined it was good enough to go.Then he proved it.ADVERTISEMENT Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC “Once you hit your first few shots you can kind of tell how your body is feeling, especially with the flow of the game,” Harris said. “You just figure out where you’re going to get your shots and once you get them, you’ve just got to knock them down.”Denver shot 60 percent from the field to New York’s 55 percent, ending a streak of eight games in which the Nuggets had been outshot by the opposition.“Guys made their shots,” Nuggets coach Michael Malone said. “The other thing we’ve been stressing is less play calling, more freedom of movement, more pace and just be hard to guard, like we were last year. It was pace and it was movement and it was a night where we finally made some shots consistently.”Kristaps Porzingis, back after missing Tuesday’s loss at Golden State with a sore knee, and Michael Beasley each scored 21 points for the Knicks. Enes Kanter had 20 and Trey Burke 18.Trailing by 13 at the half, the Knicks cut it to 99-92 heading into the final period after Burke connected on a fadeaway shot.ADVERTISEMENT Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Read Next Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH LATEST STORIES MOST READ View comments Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises Harris scored 23 points, Trey Lyles had 21 and the Denver Nuggets beat the New York Knicks 130-118 on Thursday night.“I felt good right before the game so I went out there and gave it a go,” said Harris, who tweaked the foot last Friday against Phoenix and aggravated the injury Monday night against Portland.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutJamal Murray and Nikola Jokic added 18 points apiece for the Nuggets, who defeated the Knicks for the 10th time in a row in Denver. New York hasn’t won in the Mile High City since 2006.Seven Nuggets scored in double figures. Denver hit 14 of 28 3-pointers led by Harris, who connected on four of his six shots from beyond the arc.center_img Nuggets: Host Dallas on Monday night. The Nuggets, though, scored 10 straight points to start the fourth quarter, including 3-pointers by Will Barton and Lyles to rebuild Denver’s lead to 109-92.New York put together a 9-0 burst to pull to 114-106 but Porzingis fouled out with just under 5 minutes remaining and Murray drained a key 3-pointer with 2:41 remaining to put the Nuggets back up by 11 points. Harris added a jumper a little more than a minute later to quash the Knicks’ comeback bid.“Without him out there, that takes away a little bit of a weapon,” Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek said of losing Porzingis. “You can short roll him and he can make a mid-range shot, which he just did right before he fouled out, or he can space out for 3. Offensively, they were fine. Thirty-two assists, they moved the ball and guys did a good job that way. But defensively is where it wasn’t very good.”Porzingis said the Nuggets exerted pressure on the Knicks from the start.“First quarter, 39 points. That’s way too many,” he said. “They shot the ball great. Part of it is our defense and part of it is just them having a really good night. We did a better job in the second half, but it still wasn’t enough.”The Nuggets had their highest point total in a half this season, leading by as many as 18 points before settling for a 73-60 advantage at the break. Harris scored 18 points during the first two periods.TIP-INSKnicks: C Joakim Noah was not with the team, having been excused for personal reasons. He’s expected to miss two games. … F Kyle O’Quinn was held out of the game because of a bruised left calf. … G Tim Hardaway Jr. was inactive after recently returning from a leg injury.Nuggets: F Kenneth Faried missed a second consecutive game with left ankle soreness. … The 39-point first quarter matched a season high for the opening period. Denver also had a 39-point first quarter against Orlando on Nov. 11.HOME STREAKThe Nuggets’ home winning streak against the Knicks is their second-longest against an opponent. Denver has won its last 11 at home against the Chicago Bulls.UP NEXTKnicks: Visit Phoenix on Friday to complete a season-high, seven-game road trip. NCAA volleyball: Arellano shuts down San Beda, earns semis berth Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games PLAY LIST 00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games00:50Trending Articles01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon Citylast_img read more

NBA: Paul goes from Clippers to Rockets in blockbuster deal

first_imgMOST READ Cayetano to unmask people behind ‘smear campaign’ vs him, SEA Games Paul could have signed a new deal with the Clippers at $34 million a year had he opted out, but can now sign a five-year, $205 million maximum extension with the Rockets under NBA salary cap rules.“When friends of mine are happy then I’m equally as happy for them. Congrats to my brother CP3 on choosing his own direction,” tweeted Chicago guard Dwyane Wade.Paul and Harden reportedly discussed the possibility of a partnership at length and hope to ignite the Rockets, who went 55-27 last season but lost to San Antonio in the second round of the NBA playoffs.The Rockets, who won NBA crowns in 1994 and 1995, have not suffered a losing season since 2005-06 but have reached the Western Conference final only once in 20 years, losing that to eventual champion Golden State in 2015.Paul, obtained by the Clippers in a 2011 trade with New Orleans, is a nine-time All-Star who spent six seasons with each club and has averaged 18.7 points, 9.9 assists and 2.3 steals over 834 NBA games.ADVERTISEMENT While players and teams can begin free agency talks on Saturday, no deals can be signed until July 6. CBBSports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LOOK: Jane De Leon meets fellow ‘Darna’ Marian Rivera View comments LATEST STORIES Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’center_img Los Angeles Clippers stars Chris Paul (left) and Blake Griffin. AFPFILE PHOTOLOS ANGELES, United States — Chris Paul was traded from the Los Angeles Clippers to the Houston Rockets on Wednesday in the first major NBA talent move of the off-season with free agency looming Saturday.The 32-year-old point guard, who helped the United States win Olympic gold in 2008 at Beijing and 2012 at London, joins shooting guard James Harden in what might be the NBA’s most dynamic backcourt next season.ADVERTISEMENT In exchange, the Rockets sent to the Clippers forward Sam Dekker, guards Patrick Beverley and Lou Williams plus a 2018 first-round NBA Draft pick, according to reports by the Houston Chronicle and ESPN.“It’s tough to say goodbye but I will always have great pride and love for the chance to be a part of Red Nation!” Beverley tweeted in confirming the deal.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutLas Vegas oddsmakers trimmed the Rockets’ odds of winning next year’s NBA crown from 30-1 to 15-1 after the move was revealed while dropping the Clippers’ chances from 40-1 to 100-1.Paul agreed to opt in for the final year of his $24.2 million contract, allowing the Clippers to make a sign-and-trade deal with the Rockets, Yahoo Sports reported. Paul faced a Wednesday deadline to opt out of the final year of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent. Santos denies flopping ala Pennisi, insists Smith hit him above shoulder China furious as Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend Another vape smoker nabbed in Lucena Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. What ‘missteps’?last_img read more