‘VAR worked well until today’ – Aguero fumes at ‘incredible’ decisions

first_imgArgentina striker Sergio Aguero has hit out at the refereeing decisions during his side’s Copa America semi-final defeat to Brazil, claiming VAR was at fault for the Selecao’s second goal.With the hosts 1-0 up through a goal from Aguero’s Manchester City team-mate Gabriel Jesus, the Argentine looked to be tripped by Dani Alves inside the Brazil box in the 70th minute.Referee Roddy Zambrano waved away the Albiceleste’s appeals for a penalty, with Brazil able to launch an attack of their own which ended in Roberto Firmino making it 2-0 and all but ending the tie. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Despite the presence of VAR the decision not to award the penalty for Argentina was not officially reviewed – a call Argentina captain Lionel Messi blasted as “bullsh*t” in an angry post-match interview.And Aguero concurred with his team-mate, believing that the blatancy of the foul on him meant some of his team-mates switched off in the build-up to Firmino’s goal.”The feeling is not good. The second goal was controversial,” he told reporters. “Juan [Foyth] stops thinking that the referee was going to stop. VAR worked very well until today – incredible!”We do not pay attention to those things on the pitch, except for the blow that Dani Alves gives me from behind.”I do not know why he did not check it. At the time, he [Zambrano] may not see it, and they told us that the VAR would become like a fifth referee.”Defeat means Argentina’s wait for a senior trophy at international level goes on, with the South American superpower having failed to win anything other than the Olympics (which is contested predominantly by Under-23 players) since lifting the Copa America trophy in 1993.Performances have improved throughout the tournament in Brazil, however, and Aguero – a veteran of 94 international caps – believes the future is bright under rookie coach Lionel Scaloni.He added: “It was all very new. We’re leaving with a good feeling. There are team-mates who have not previously had the chance to play in competitions like this, and they did very well.”They are the future of the national team. Rest assured that this is going to change, and we need to give them confidence.”Brazil’s win means they will meet either Peru or defending champions Chile in Sunday’s final as they look to secure a first Copa America title since 2007.last_img read more

Security Council extends mandate of UN peacekeepers in Haiti for another year

Acting unanimously, the 15-member Council extended the UN Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH) until 15 October 2013 so that it can continue to help restore a secure and stable environment, to promote the political process, to strengthen Haiti’s Government institutions and rule-of-law-structures, as well as to promote and to protect human rights.It also decided that MINUSTAH’s overall force levels will consist of up to 6,270 troops – reduced from the authorized military strength of 7,340 – of all ranks through “a balanced withdrawal” of infantry and engineering personnel, and of a police component of up to 2,601 personnel, consistent with the proposals in Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon’s most recent report In the report, Mr. Ban stated that the Mission’s consolidation proposals assume that its military component will gradually hand over responsibility for security to formed police units and, ultimately, to the national police as the latter’s numbers and capacity grow. The transfer from military to formed police units is already completed in four of the ten departments – South, Grand-Anse, Nippes and North-West – he noted. By July 2013, MINUSTAH intends to concentrate its military presence into five security hubs in Port-au-Prince, Léogâne, Gonaïves, Cap-Haïtien and Ouanaminthe. “This gradual concentration of the military presence would be balanced by the deployment of formed police units to the vacated departments, a transition model that has already proved effective,” he wrote. Also by today’s resolution, MINUSTAH’s police component – currently authorized at 3,241 – will be reduced to 2,601. “The strengthening of the national police remains a key prerequisite for the Mission’s eventual withdrawal from Haiti,” Mr. Ban stated, adding that recent steps by the Government, with the Mission’s assistance, to increase the numbers of police recruits, in particular female recruits, are encouraging and should help to accelerate the currently insufficient intake of new police cadets.The Security Council established MINUSTAH in June 2004. In addition to its mandated tasks, it has been helping support Haiti’s authorities with recovery efforts in the wake of massive earthquake which struck in January 2010. read more