Video game giant Ubisoft announces 780million Quebec expansion

MONTREAL — Twenty years after coming to Quebec, French video game giant Ubisoft announced plans Tuesday to invest $780 million in the province by 2027, hire more than 1,000 people and open two new studios.Ubisoft’s expansion includes a $135-million investment to open a studio in early 2018 in Saguenay, about 250 kilometres north of Quebec City, said co-founder and CEO Yves Guillemot.The company also plans to add 675 jobs in Montreal and another 200 in Quebec City, while opening a fourth bureau in the province in an undisclosed location.“The expertise of Ubisoft’s Quebec studios is one of the motors of the company’s growth,” Guillemot said.He said the company is looking to hire 125 people within five years to work in the Saguenay office.Ubisoft’s studios in the province have developed some of the company’s famous brands including video games Assassin’s Creed and Far Cry.The company, which currently has 3,600 employees in Montreal and Quebec City, has taken advantage of the Quebec government’s subsidy program for multimedia firms.Up to 37.5 per cent of admissible salary expenses is eligible for reimbursement with tax dollars.For the fiscal year ending March 31, 2017, Ubisoft received $90 million from Quebec’s coffers to subsidize employee salaries.Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard was on hand for the announcement and said the tax credit program is worth it.“Tax credits on 1,000 jobs created by Ubisoft represents an expense of roughly $160 million,” Couillard said. “It’s a choice we have made.”The province’s subsidy program has been criticized by non-multimedia companies in the province who aren’t offered similar tax credits but who are competing for the same talent.Guillemot said Ubisoft’s Quebec investment has totalled $3.5 billion since 1997 and will increase to $9 billion at the end of its expansion plan. read more

Hungary Pick Szeged loses a point against Tatabanya

← Previous Story Luka Karabatic joins Aix! Next Story → Lino Cervar: “Vive Kielce is the best Polish club, there must be no technical errors” ancsinpickPick SzegedskaliczkisulcSzegedtatabanya After beating MKB Veszprém, Pick Szeged was in a confortable situation. They made a great stride to win the first round of the Hungarian Championship. On Tuesday they travelled to Tatabánya to put down another win. But the local team – which is in the 3rd place in the championship – could make a big surprise just like last year. In 2011 they had a brilliant 27-19 win against Pick.The match began tightly, the halftime result was 14-16. After the break Szeged started to play in „Champions League-rhytm” and draw away from Tatabánya easily tanks to Gábor Ancsin ( 10 goals ) and Frantisek Sulc ( 7 goals ). In the 41st minute the result was 16-23. Then Pick made unintelligible mistakes, got successively two minute suspensions and the local team utilized it, they could equalize two minutes before the end and Szeged couldn’t invigorate. The final result is 30-30, so Szeged lost a very valued point, but they still lead the championship with one point ahead of Veszprém.Szeged’s head-coach, László Skaliczki said after the match:„ It’s very hard to say anything after that we lost a point against the good-prepared Tatbánya in a silly way. I don’t want to say more, bacause the one saw the match, he can surely draw a lesson.”Reasonably Skaliczki and the whole team are so disappointed, but now they have to concentrate on the next match, what isn’t at all easy. On Sunday they’ll meet Barcelona in the Champions League.TEXT: Virág Farkas read more