Celtic boss Lennon fumes over Ntcham comments

first_imgCeltic midfielder Olivier Ntcham is in hot water with boss Neil Lennon over comments made regarding the quality of football in the Scottish Premier League. The 23-year-old, formerly of Manchester City, revealed he had “failed to develop” at the club, also adding that the level of football in Scotland’s top division was “not high.”  Reports suggest that Celtic are struggling to hold on to the player, with Marseille the front-runners to prise him away from his current club. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Fellow Ligue 1 side Lyon are also said to be interested in the player, who appears desperate to force a move away from Scotland. “That will be addressed when Olivier comes back,” said Lennon ahead of Tuesday’s Champions League qualifier away to Sarajevo.”I think it is fair to say that a lot of us, whether it be management, players or people at the club were not satisfied with the comments.”Ntcham signed a four-year deal with Celtic after his arrival from Manchester City in the summer of 2017, after having spent two years in Serie A on loan with Genoa.His time in Scotland has been a winning one as the Hoops collected League, League Cup and Scottish Cup doubles in each of his two seasons at Celtic Park. The Frenchman has made a total of 84 appearances, scoring 14 goals during his two seasons with the SPL club, and will have to face the music on his return to training. “When I speak to Olivier it will be done privately but you can imagine, we find the comments untimely and not particularly accurate,” added Lennon.Lennon admitted that the player had not completely burned his bridges, but it seems like the relationship will be tough to repair if Ntcham is determined to leave.“He still has a future [at Celtic], he is under contract. But I will be speaking to him about his mindset and his attitude toward the club as well which, the way it came across, didn’t look good.”Ntcham previously refused to sign a professional contract with Le Havre when he was a youngster, before joining Manchester City’s youth sector for a €1 million fee back in 2012.last_img read more

UN feeds over 18000 Congolese victims of attacks by Ugandan rebels

31 December 2008The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has delivered emergency supplies for more than 18,000 displaced people in the strife-torn eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) who are victims of violence at the hands of the notorious Ugandan rebel group known as the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA). The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has delivered emergency supplies for more than 18,000 displaced people in the strife-torn eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) who are victims of violence at the hands of the notorious Ugandan rebel group known as the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA).The aid, delivered both by air and by land, was distributed together with the non-governmental organization (NGO) Caritas in Orientale Province in and around the town of Dungu, which is situated near the DRC’s borders with Sudan and Uganda, WFP said in an update today.The LRA has attacked several communities, killing civilians, burning homes and abducting civilians. With new massacres perpetrated by the LRA having been reported, WFP said the need for humanitarian assistance could jump significantly in the coming weeks.The rebel group is “attacking just ordinary villages,” UN Emergency Relief Coordinator John Holmes told reporters in New York today, adding that protecting civilians is “extremely difficult.”The UN peacekeeping mission in the DRC, known as MONUC, is already “extremely overstretched” in the eastern DRC and has a limited number of forces in the Dungu area, but is “doing its best under those circumstances” to protect people, he said.The UN hopes to “get across to the LRA that they will be held accountable,” Mr. Holmes, who also serves as Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs, said.MONUC said it cannot estimate the number of people killed due to the remoteness and lack of communications in the region, but local and humanitarian officials said nearly 200 people had been killed during the Christmas period alone. The LRA, which has been fighting Ugandan forces since the 1980s and has since spilled over into Sudan and DRC, are notorious for human rights abuses including the killing and maiming of civilians, and the abduction and recruitment of children as soldiers and sex slaves.Yesterday, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon strongly condemned the “appalling atrocities” reportedly committed by LRA in the eastern DRC and southern Sudan, and demanded that they respect all rules of international humanitarian law.In a statement issued by his spokesperson, he called on the Ugandan, DRC and southern Sudanese forces on the ground to coordinate with the humanitarian community and UN missions in the region to ensure the effective delivery of aid to those affected by the LRA attacks.WFP and its partners seek to reach some 800,000 people in the eastern DRC who have been driven from their homes by fighting in recent months among Government forces (FARDC), the mainly Tutsi rebel group known as the Congress in Defence of the People (CNDP), the mainly Hutu Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), among other groups which have repeatedly clashed in various permutations and shifting alliances.Over half a million people have been uprooted in North Kivu Province since the clashes began escalating in the second half of this year. In both North and South Kivu Provinces, skirmishes are continuing among armed groups, and insecurity and poor road conditions are still thwarting the delivery of aid.WFP said today that while there is enough food to cover immediate needs in eastern DRC, it foresees a shortfall of 22,000 metric tons over the next six months.Meanwhile, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) urged the international community to not turn a blind eye to the suffering of women and children in the region.Sexual violence and exploitation have been rampant and taking place without impunity in villages and camps for internally displaced persons (IDPs), with women and girls reporting being raped both within sites and when venturing out for firewood, water and food.In Kibati camp in North Kivu, soldiers abducted and tried to rape two girls, and shot one dead and sent the other fleeing. Both of these girls had taken part in the UNICEF-backed child-friendly space programme.“UNICEF urges the authorities to protect all children and adults from sexual violence, whether perpetrated by parties to the conflict or civilians,” said Pierrette Vu Thi, a representative for the agency in the DRC.“Prevention of sexual violence requires the commitment of the Government, armed forces, and groups, and community leaders to reduce the risks that girls and women face and to proactively promote a zero tolerance position toward sexual violence and abuse.” read more