Celtic midfielder Olivier Ntcham is in hot water with boss Neil Lennon over comments made regarding the quality of football in the Scottish Premier League. The 23-year-old, formerly of Manchester City, revealed he had “failed to develop” at the club, also adding that the level of football in Scotland’s top division was “not high.” Reports suggest that Celtic are struggling to hold on to the player, with Marseille the front-runners to prise him away from his current club. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Fellow Ligue 1 side Lyon are also said to be interested in the player, who appears desperate to force a move away from Scotland. “That will be addressed when Olivier comes back,” said Lennon ahead of Tuesday’s Champions League qualifier away to Sarajevo.”I think it is fair to say that a lot of us, whether it be management, players or people at the club were not satisfied with the comments.”Ntcham signed a four-year deal with Celtic after his arrival from Manchester City in the summer of 2017, after having spent two years in Serie A on loan with Genoa.His time in Scotland has been a winning one as the Hoops collected League, League Cup and Scottish Cup doubles in each of his two seasons at Celtic Park. The Frenchman has made a total of 84 appearances, scoring 14 goals during his two seasons with the SPL club, and will have to face the music on his return to training. “When I speak to Olivier it will be done privately but you can imagine, we find the comments untimely and not particularly accurate,” added Lennon.Lennon admitted that the player had not completely burned his bridges, but it seems like the relationship will be tough to repair if Ntcham is determined to leave.“He still has a future [at Celtic], he is under contract. But I will be speaking to him about his mindset and his attitude toward the club as well which, the way it came across, didn’t look good.”Ntcham previously refused to sign a professional contract with Le Havre when he was a youngster, before joining Manchester City’s youth sector for a €1 million fee back in 2012.
US construction spending up 0.2 per cent in April to $953.5 billion, strongest in 5 years by Martin Crutsinger, The Associated Press Posted Jun 2, 2014 8:44 am MDT WASHINGTON – U.S. construction spending posted modest gains in April, driven by an uptick in home building and government construction that lifted total activity to the highest level in five years.Construction spending rose 0.2 per cent in April to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of $953.5 billion, the strongest performance since March 2009, the Commerce Department said Monday. The April increase was lower than economists had expected. But the government revised March activity higher to a 0.6 per cent gain, up from an initial estimate of a 0.2 per cent increase.The small April improvement, combined with the strong gain in March, suggest that the construction industry is recovering from the harsh winter and will provide a boost to growth in the months ahead.“This was mostly a good report,” IHS Global Insight economists Stephanie Karol and Patrick Newport said in an analyst note. “Core construction, the piece of the report which affects GDP, advanced 0.6 per cent, the largest gain since December.”The April figure marked the third straight increase after the weather pushed spending down 0.4 per cent in January. Construction activity dragged the overall economy in the first quarter when gross domestic product actually shrank.The overall economy contracted at an annual rate of 1 per cent in the January-March quarter. Analysts estimate growth to recover to a rate of around 3.8 per cent in the April-June period. The expectation is that strong gains in hiring will help lift consumer spending. Other sectors including construction should also bounce back.In April, residential construction edged up 0.1 per cent. It was the lowest monthly gain since an outright decline last October. However, the small increase followed strong gains over the past five months and was enough to lift spending on housing to a seasonally adjusted $378.5 billion, the highest level since March 2008.Spending on single-family home construction was up 1.3 per cent, while spending on apartment construction rose 2.7 per cent. Only the remodeling sector, which accounts for 40 per cent of the total, posted a decline, falling 2.2 per cent.Spending on non-residential projects fell 0.1 per cent to an annual rate of $308 billion, with weakness in the communications industry, where activity dropped 11.7 per cent. Spending on hotels, office buildings and shopping centres all showed gains.Government construction spending rose 0.8 per cent to a rate of $267 billion. This sector has been struggling because of budget cutbacks at all levels of government. In April, spending on federal projects rose 1.9 per cent to a rate of $23.5 billion. Spending on state and local projects was up 0.7 per cent to $243.5 billion.Total construction spending is 8.6 per cent higher than a year ago, led by a 17.2 per cent increase in housing construction. Non-residential construction is up by 5.6 per cent from a year ago, while government projects are just 1.2 per cent higher. AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email