Posted on December 16, 2010November 13, 2014Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Earlier this months, estimates of unsafe abortions were published in Reproductive Health Matters. A related paper in Studies in Family Planning written by researchers from the Guttmacher Institute estimates rates of unintended pregnancies in various regions.According to the authors:Unintended pregnancy can carry serious consequences for women and their families. We estimate the incidence of pregnancy by intention status and outcome at worldwide, regional, and subregional levels for 2008, and we assess recent trends since 1995. Numbers of births are based on United Nations estimates. Induced abortions are estimated by projecting from recent trends. A model-based approach is used to estimate miscarriages. The planning status of births is estimated using nationally representative and small-scale surveys of 80 countries. Of the 208 million pregnancies that occurred in 2008, we estimate that 41 percent were unintended.The authors estimate 86 million unintended pregnancies resulting in approximately 41 million abortions worldwide, roughly 35 million of which took place in “less developed regions.” Given the relatively high rate of unsafe abortion leading to maternal morbidity and mortality in developing countries, a move towards further reducing unintended pregnancies could greatly improve the health outcomes for women in the developing world by decreasing the number of unsafe abortions.Share this: ShareEmailPrint To learn more, read:
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Nice chief Julien Fournier a target for Southamptonby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveNice chief Julien Fournier is a target for Southampton.The Daily Mail says Fournier, the general manager of French club Nice, is lined up to be the next director of football at Southampton.The vastly experienced 44-year-old who played a key role in persuading Patrick Vieira to become Nice’s manager, has worked previously as secretary general of Marseille and was the youngest president of Strasbourg.Southampton sacked Les Reed as vice-chairman in November and technical director Martin Hunter.The club’s Chinese owner, Gao Jisheng and his family, who took control in the summer of last year, have been working on a restructure of the club after appointing highly-rated Ralph Hasenhuttl as manager.
“We keep hearing that,” Aarthy says. “We’re sorry we let people down.”The couple from Vancouver were the sixth team sent home from the Race this season. Advertisement Login/Register With: LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Advertisement Going from first to last on The Amazing Race Canada is a gut punch not just for the team being sent home, but fans as well.When 25-year-old human resources professional Aarthy Ketheeswaran and 28-year-old software developer Thinesh Kumarakulasingam hear that they were fan-favourites before their elimination in Thunder Bay, Ont., this week, they collectively let out a sigh. Facebook Advertisement Twitter
Stocks closed lower in shortened session on Wall Street Friday as energy stocks declined along with the price of oil. The benchmark S&P 500 closed in what’s known on Wall Street as a correction — 10 per cent below its most recent high.Trading volume was light with the markets open for only a half day after the Thanksgiving holiday.On Friday:The S&P 500 index fell 17.37 points, or 0.7 per cent, to 2,632.56.The Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 178.74 points, or 0.7 per cent, to 24,285.95.The Nasdaq composite dropped 33.27 points, or 0.5 per cent, to 6,938.98.The Russell 2000 index of smaller-company stocks picked up 0.40 points, or 0.03 per cent, to 1,488.68.For the week:The S&P 500 fell 103.71 points, or 3.8 per cent.The Dow lost 1,127.27 points, or 4.4 per cent.The Nasdaq declined 308.89 points, or 4.3 per cent.The Russell 2000 gave up 38.85 points, or 2.5 per cent.For the year:The S&P 500 is down 41.05 points, or 1.5 per cent.The Dow is down 433.27 points, or 1.8 per cent.The Nasdaq is up 35.59 points, or 0.5 per cent.The Russell 2000 is down 46.83 points, or 3.1 per cent.The Associated Press
New Delhi: The Delhi BJP on Tuesday alleged that the Aam Aadmi Party was trying to incite communal tensions by “politicising the cow” and said it would lodge a complaint with the Election Commission.The BJP’s reaction came on a tweet by AAP Lok Sabha poll candidate Raghav Chadha in which he wrote “door to door campaigning by BJP” and posted a photo of a cow and a calf standing at the doorstep of a house. The post has been liked by Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, BJP leader Vijender Gupta said. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murder”We have taken an appointment with the Election Commission of India and will apprise them about how the AAP is politicising the cow, which is a symbol of harmony, and trying to create communal tension,” Gupta, who is also the Leader of Opposition in the Delhi assembly, told reporters.The tweet is a violation of the model code of conduct (MCC) and the Delhi BJP will lodge a complaint with the poll panel on Wednesday, he said. BJP MP Ramesh Bidhuri said complaints have been filed at the Govindpuri, Pul Prahladpur and Sangam Vihar police stations against the AAP for trying to incite communal tension through Chadha’s tweet. “We will urge the Election Commission (EC) to invalidate the AAP and urge them to ensure that FIRs are filed on these complaints. “His (Chadha) said act has not only hurt the religious sentiments of the Hindus but has also intended to create mutual hatred, differences and cause tension between different religions,” he said.
Diamond Harbour: Coming down heavily on Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s tall claim of calling himself a ‘chowkidar’, Abhishek Banerjee, Trinamool YouthCongress president and sitting MP, said there is no need to keep a chowkidar who allows money launderers to flee India and take safe shelter in foreign countries. “We do not want a chowkidar who will allow money launderers like Nirav Modi and Vijay Mallya to flee the country and get settled in a foreign country peacefully,” he said while addressing a rally at Sarisha High School ground on Saturday afternoon. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaComparing the BJP with a special type of insect that is found during Diwali, he said: “BJP is like that particular type of insect called “shyamapoka” which can only be seen during Diwali and Kali Puja. The leaders of BJP come before the election and during the year, they cannot be seen anywhere near the constituency,” he said. “I request locals not to support BJP leaders as they are like snakes. At the earliest opportunity, they will bite those who have helped them,” he added. Also Read – Bengal civic volunteer dies in road mishap on national highwayAbhishek said the BJP candidate from Diamond Harbour constituency, Nilanjan Roy, is a resident of Balurghat and “he needs at least three months to know the area. But before that elections will be over and he will go back to Balurghat.” He maintained that in the past five years, the MPLAD fund worth Rs 25 crore has been used for the development in the area. In addition to this, the state Public Works department and Public Health Engineering department have spent another Rs 1,600 crore. On top of it, the state Tourism department, Irrigation and waterways department and Transport department spent another Rs 2,600 crore. He said: “I can say with utmost conviction that in the past five years, the same amount has not been spent for the development of Varanasi which is Modi’s constituency.” Abhishek added that he would conduct road shows and organise meetings in Diamond Harbour. He assured that more development in the area would be taken up in future.
Gurugram: The failure of public agencies in the city to meet its deadline of revamping the city roads ultimately compelled the policemen to go beyond their call of duty and fill up the potholes. Two traffic policemen went the extra mile to ease vehicular flow at Agrasen Chowk, one of the busiest intersections in Old Gurugram, on Thursday. With MCG delaying repair work, they plugged potholes in the area to ease jams and reduce the risk of accidents. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderZonal officer of traffic police, ASI Yaduveer and constable Ajay, arranged cement, concrete and other items and dirtied their hands to finish the pending work. The activity, which is not part of their job, was lauded by commuters. Many of them clicked pictures and some offered financial help which the cops declined. Agrasen Chowk, located next to Sadar Bazaar, witnesses heavy traffic coming from the Old Railway Road and moving towards Rajiv Chowk. The potholes were slowing down vehicular movement, leading to snarls of a kilometre or more. Earlier, Yaduveer had requested junior engineers of both SDO and MCG to plug the potholes but to no avail. Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchingsOn Wednesday, a biker met with an accident due to the potholes and was injured. “On Thursday, after coming to work I first arranged cement, concrete and other items. Then, we started plugging the potholes,” Yaduveer said, adding traffic movement was diverted for some time owing to work. On Wednesday, police commissioner Muhammad Akil held a meeting with traffic police, directing them to take steps at their level, if required, to improve the traffic situation. A senior police officer said that it was appreciable that cops went beyond their official duties to resolve such problems but “the civic agency should have filled the pothole”. “During monsoon, police ensured the city kept moving. Now, they are taking steps to resolve jams,” Rajeev Yadav, a resident of Sector 4, said, adding it exposed the inefficiency of government agencies.
Bhubaneswar: The Odisha government is likely to begin the evacuation of people affected by cyclone Fani from May 2 as the severe cyclonic storm is heading to make a landfall on the state’s coast, an official said here on Tuesday. The state government has also asked the concerned district collectors in the coastal regions to remain prepared to meet any eventuality. “The cyclone is currently headed northwest and after May 1, according to the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD), it will recurve and move towards Odisha. By late evening on May 3, the cyclone is expected to make landfall near Puri. However, the IMD informed that this too is expected to change,” said Special Relief Commissioner (SRC) Bishnupada Sethi. Also Read – 2019 most peaceful festive season for J&K: Jitendra Singh “If the cyclone makes landfall in Odisha on the evening of May 3, we will start evacuating the affected people on May 2.” As many as 879 cyclone shelters were already set up. Besides, 20 Odisha Disaster Rapid Action Force (ODRAF) units, 335 fire services and 12 NDRF units were on standby. Fani could become an ‘extremely severe cyclone’ by Wednesday, said the IMD. It predicted that after May 2, south-coastal Odisha and adjacent districts will receive heavy to very rainfall. Thereafter, on May 3 and 4, coastal and interior Odisha is also likely to receive extremely heavy downpours, while wind speed may touch 170 km per hour.
New York: Anti-money laundering specialists at Deutsche Bank recommended in 2016 and 2017 that multiple transactions involving legal entities controlled by Donald Trump and his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, be reported to a federal financial-crimes watchdog. The transactions, some of which involved Trump’s now-defunct foundation, set off alerts in a computer system designed to detect illicit activity, current and former bank employees told The New York Times on Sunday. Also Read – Commercial vehicle sales to remain subdued in current fiscal: Icra Compliance staff members who then reviewed the transactions prepared so-called suspicious activity reports that they believed should be sent to a unit of the Treasury Department that polices financial crimes. But executives at Deutsche Bank, which has lent billions of dollars to the Trump and Kushner companies, rejected their employees’ advice. The reports were never filed with the government. The nature of the transactions was not clear, but some of them involved money flowing back and forth with overseas entities or individuals, which bank employees considered suspicious, according to the employees. Also Read – Ashok Leyland stock tanks over 5 pc as co plans to suspend production for up to 15 days The red flags raised by employees did not necessarily mean the transactions were improper. Banks sometimes opt not to file suspicious activity reports if they conclude their employees’ concerns are unwarranted. But the former employees said the decision not to report the Trump and Kushner transactions reflected the Deutsche Bank’s generally lax approach to money laundering laws. They said it was part of a pattern of the bank’s executives rejecting valid reports to protect relationships with lucrative clients. “You present them with everything, and you give them a recommendation, and nothing happens,” Tammy McFadden, a former Deutsche Bank anti-money laundering specialist who reviewed some of the transactions, told The New York Times. “It’s the D.B. way. They are prone to discounting everything.” McFadden said she was terminated last year after she raised concerns about the bank’s practices. Since then, she has filed complaints with the Securities and Exchange Commission and other regulators about the bank’s anti-money-laundering enforcement. In response to the development, Kerrie McHugh, a Deutsche Bank spokeswoman, said on Sunday the company had intensified its efforts to combat financial crime. An effective anti-money laundering programme, she said, “requires sophisticated transaction screening technology as well as a trained group of individuals who can analyze the alerts generated by that technology both thoroughly and efficiently”. Amanda Miller, a spokeswoman for the Trump Organization, the umbrella company for the Trump family’s many business interests, said: “We have no knowledge of any ‘flagged’ transactions with Deutsche Bank.” She said the Trump Organization currently has “no operating accounts with Deutsche Bank”. Karen Zabarsky, a spokeswoman for Kushner Companies, said: “Any allegations regarding Deutsche Bank’s relationship with Kushner Companies which involved money laundering is completely made up and totally false…” This report comes after Trump and his family sued Deutsche Bank in April, seeking to block it from complying with the congressional subpoenas to reveal his tax returns. The President’s lawyers described the subpoenas as politically motivated.
Real Madrid defender Nacho admitted that he would take back Cristiano Ronaldo in a heartbeat following their recent strugglesThe loss of their all-time record goalscorer is having a telling effect on Real this season with the club having failed to find the net in their last four matches, three of which they lost.But Nacho, who earlier this week defended under-fire boss Julen Loptegui, insists that Real cannot dwell on the loss of Ronaldo and must look forward.“It is a difficult subject for us. I’ve said it several times. If it were up to us we would love to have Cristiano in the squad because we had him for many years and he is a player who makes a difference,” Nacho told Goal.“But it is a situation where we cannot feel sorry for ourselves because of Cristiano. He chose to leave.“We are grateful for everything he did for us and we wish him the best of luck. But we cannot feel sorry for someone who is no longer with us. It isn’t our fault he left, nor was it up to us to make him stay.“I hope he has the best of luck and we have to work through the present and future in the best way we can with what we have.”Quiz: How much do you know about David Villa? Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Time to test your knowledge about Spanish legendary forward David Villa.Finding someone to replace a five-time Ballon d’Or winner, who provided over 40 goals a season, was beyond Lopetegui in the summer.But Nacho is certain that the current squad have the required level of talent to succeed.“Well, Cristiano left and the club decided not to sign anybody. We have a lot of faith in the players we have,” he added.“You win titles with the players you have in the squad. To start with, when we were winning everything looked rosy and now it doesn’t.“But we have to keep our cool in this sport, and save our analysis for when the season finishes. But we have a lot of confidence in the players we have.”Real will next face Levante in La Liga on October 20 at the Santiago Bernabeu.