Unlucky break for Heskin

first_img The jumps jockey suffered the bad injury at Ballinrobe on Tuesday evening when he was unseated from Six Men Or Dooley in a two-and-a-half-mile maiden hurdle. Heskin’s agent Garry Cribbin ‏said: “He was just very unlucky. He landed on his ankle and it swelled up. He had X-rays taken straight away and they showed a double fracture. He’ll need an operation, but it’s a straightforward one and he’ll be out for between six to eight weeks.” Adrian Heskin could be out of action for up to eight weeks after he sustained a double fracture to an ankle. Cribbin added: “He’ll be perfectly fine for Galway.” center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

India in South Africa: Wounded India aim to bounce back in Centurion

first_imgPride will be at stake for India when they take on South Africa in the second Test at the SuperSport Park, Centurion starting Saturday. India, who after nine successive Test series triumphs, face litmus Test after going down by 72 runs in the first Test at Cape Town earlier this week.While the Indian pacers are expected to exploit the conditions at the SuperSport Park once again after grabbing 17 wickets at a lively Newlands pitch, the focus will be on India’s top five batsmen, who combined to put on board only 130 in both the innings.Bounce, seam and swing were all there to see at Newlands and SuperSport Park is expected to be no less lively. South Africa have not lost at this venue since 2014.South Africa head coach Otis Gibson has already expressed his desire to stick with a four-pronged pace attack. The hosts went into the Newlands Test with their strongest quartet of seamers — Dale Steyn, Vernon Philander, Morne Morkel and Kagiso Rabada. Veteran Steyn injured his left heel midway through the match and has been sidelined for up to six weeks.One of all-rounders Chris Morris and Andile Phehlukwayo is most likely to be included in place of Steyn to strengthen their batting which din’t perform on expected lines.Rookie pacers Duanne Olivier and Lungi Ngidi have been added to the squad and skipper Faf du Plessis may be lured into fielding either of them. Keshav Maharaj will be the lone spinner in the team.To stand up to the pacers, Indian batsmen have a lot of areas to improve upon. The conditions are far different from that of the sub-continent and India didn’t even play a warm-up game prior to the first Test.advertisementHaving experienced the conditions in the first Test, the Indian batsmen will be hopeful of giving a better account of themselves.Some of them played reckless shots — which would have worked on a slow pitch — in the first Test and coming into the second game, they would have got a measure of the task ahead.India’s team is full of stroke-makers like Shikhar Dhawan, Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma and Hardik Pandya. Their attitude of dominating the bowlers with a flurry of strokes will not work. Instead they must harness the art of controlling the pace quartet. They must curtail their habit of going after the deliveries.Calls for the inclusion of Ajinkya Rahane, known for his quiet approach, instead of fellow Mumbaikar Rohit Sharma have grown over the few days. It will not be a surprise if one of Dhawan or Rohit sit out, while Karnataka right-hander Lokesh Rahul — a stroke-maker but with a judicious batting approach — may find himself in the openers’ slot.Though the less flamboyant ones, Murali Vijay and Cheteshwar Pujara also failed, they are trusted to in these conditions, especially the dogged Saurashtra right-hander.If Kohli wins the toss, opting to bowl will be an obvious option. Doing so will not only shield the batsmen from the early onslaught of the hosts’ pacemen but also allow the visiting bowlers to run into the opposition with full steam.last_img read more

Torino president: Belotti offers fell short

first_imgTransfers ‘Never afraid of losing him’ – Torino president says no club came close to Belotti clause Stephen Creek Last updated 2 years ago 05:29 9/3/17 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) Andrea Belotti Torino Sassuolo Serie A 05282017 Getty Images Transfers Torino Serie A The Italian club’s boss said all offers received for their star man fell short of their €100 million valuation of the striker Torino received a number of offers for star striker Andrea Belotti but none of them triggered his €100 million release clause, according to club president Urbano Cairo.Belotti’s 26 Serie A goals in 35 appearances for Torino last season made him a top transfer target and the likes of Milan, Chelsea, Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain were reportedly interested in signing him.Sampdoria 14/1 to beat Roma 1-0 Article continues below Editors’ Picks Brazil, beware! Messi and Argentina out for revenge after Copa controversy Best player in MLS? Zlatan wasn’t even the best player in LA! ‘I’m getting better’ – Can Man Utd flop Fred save his Old Trafford career? Why Barcelona god Messi will never be worshipped in the same way in Argentina Cairo, who has brought stability to Torino since taking over 12 years ago when the club was almost bankrupt, spoke proudly after holding onto his star player for another year – but offered no assurances over Belotti’s long-term future.”I was never afraid of losing him. The decision was mine to keep Belotti, unless someone came along ready to pay the €100 million clause,” Cairo told Radio Sportiva .”Seeing as nobody came close to it, I was relaxed. He is staying with us for this season and then we’ll see. We kept him and Adem Ljajic, Iago Falque and Daniele Baselli, Antonio Barreca, Afriyie Acquah – even if he had a lot of offers – and of course Joel Obi.”We had an incredible number of proposals come in, but we kept practically everyone and added important new players.”Chelsea’s offer for Italy defender Davide Zappacosta – said to be in the region of €28m – proved too much for Cairo to resist, while Fiorentina were also allowed to buy midfielder Marco Benassi for €10m.Cairo claimed that the club’s transfer activity had been given the blessing of coach Sinisa Mihajlovic.”With a heavy heart, we parted with Marco Benassi and Zappacosta,” said Cairo. “When it came to Zappacosta, Chelsea made an offer that was simply too good to refuse.”As for Benassi, it was an issue of the tactical system and what was best for him.”[Coach] Sinisa Mihajlovic called to thank me for the transfer campaign, now it’s up to us to prove on the pitch that we can aim for Europe. We mustn’t set limits.”last_img read more