Oil refinery ‘will save SA billions’

first_img Source: BuaNews 18 October 2010 The proposed Mthombo crude oil refinery will help South Africa escape from the “dependency trap” of having to import refined automotive products, ultimately saving the country billions of rands, says President Jacob Zuma. At the same time, the refinery, to be built at the Coega Industrial Development Zone near Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Cape, would showcase South Africa’s competitive ability to its counterparts globally. Construction on the refinery, which will be the biggest in Africa, is expected to start in 2012, which would bring the refinery on stream by 2015. The US$11-billion refinery, which would have a 400 000 barrel a day capacity, is meant to ensure security of fuel supply in South Africa. The country is currently dependent on international oil companies to provide for its liquid fuel energy needs. “With Project Mthombo, this country stands to save an estimated R12.6-billion a year in energy costs once the refinery is running, and could export oil across Africa,” Zuma said last week. Zuma was speaking during a visit to PetroSA’s gas-to-liquid refinery in Mossel Bay in the Western Cape. The visit by Zuma and Energy Minister Dipuo Peters was to obtain a first-hand account of PetroSA’s operations, his office said. “We welcome the fact that PetroSA is making its impact, not only in job creation but in empowering the people as well. It employs close to 2 000 people, while 27 500 more will be absorbed within the crude oil refinery that is planned,” Zuma said. Zuma welcomed the impressive growth of PetroSA following its successful merger of Mossgas, Soekor and parts of the Strategic Fuel Fund in 2002. PetroSA is reaching markets in Europe, the United States, Caribbean, Middle East and Far East, which Zuma said was an important achievement. He also commended the National Oil Company for the role it was playing in reducing the country’s dependence on imported refined fuel. last_img read more

Manipur’s women march, urge an end to mob ‘justice’

first_imgFor many nights over the past month, Manipur has been witnessing torch light processions in the valley districts, with the mostly women marchers demanding among other things an end to mob violence directed at those accused of crimes. Over the last few years, at least three persons in Manipur, and two in neighbouring Nagaland, have been victims of mob lynchings. The apprehension of local mobs rendering vigilante justice has even forced the police to spirit away a woman and a man from Manipur. The duo, who are accused of killing a police inspector in order to steal his vehicle, have been placed in the custody of the police in Nagaland, at an undisclosed location, while they await trial. Pishakmacha, a middle-aged woman activist said, “We demand an end to mob crime in this State.” Renubala, a young housewife from Thoubal district who is also participating in the marches said, “A man is not guilty unless a court says so. The government should prevent such mob trials and the beating to death of people. The family members of the accused persons also end up being banished from the locality for ever.” ‘Missing’ wife Chaoba Laishram’s case is an example of the extent to which mob justice has hurt the lives of common people in Manipur. In 2010, when he was 25 years old, he married Naobi Konthoujam in Thoubal district. However, after just eight months she was reported “missing” on April 18, 2011. Accusing Chaoba of murdering Naobi and clandestinely disposing of her body, Naobi’s parents, relatives and other local residents decided to take the law into their own hands. Ignoring Chaoba’s protests of innocence, the mob ransacked and pulled down his tin-roofed house and banished him and his parents from the village, a common form of mob punishment given to those accused of murder in Manipur. On September 21, 2011, a highly decomposed body of a young girl was found by the Bishnupur district police at Ithai barrage. Kunjarani Konthoujam, the ‘missing’ Naobi’s mother, promptly “identified” the body as that of her daughter.The angry villagers brought the mortal remains to the ransacked remnant of Chaoba’s house, piled up wood from the demolished structure and cremated the body in the courtyard.And the following month, a local court remanded Chaoba and his parents to judicial custody.Police, however, subsequently learned that Naobi’s mother had been frequently visiting a house in Thoubal district’s Tekcham belonging to one Sanayai, who it was discovered had secretly married Naobi. Police also found Kunjarani often providing care for an infant. Interrogation established that the baby was the child of her “missing daughter” Naobi and that from the very beginning Kunjarani knew that her daughter was not missing but had been living in Ukhrul district with her new husband.Police arrested Naobi, her mother Kunjarani and the new husband and Chaoba was subsequently acquitted by the court.However, Chaoba’s house had already been destroyed. Importantly, the possible homicide of the unidentified woman who had been cremated was never investigated.On September 19, Manipur’s cabinet decided to introduce ‘The Manipur Mob Violence Control and Prohibition Bill, 2018’ in the Assembly. Chief Minister N. Biren has said that mob violence will never be tolerated or condoned. He disclosed that five persons had been arrested and some policemen suspended in connection with the lynching of Farooque Ahmed Khan, an MBA student, at Tharoijam in Imphal west district on September 13.While villagers claimed that three persons had come in a car to steal two wheelers and that two people had managed to escape, activists demanding justice for Khan said that had been no car and that the victim had likely gone to the village to meet a friend there. Jogeshchandra Haobijam, Imphal west district SP said: “Nothing much can be disclosed since the matter is under investigation”.People recall that on May 3, 1993, a riot had been triggered by a rumour resulting in the loss of 103 innocent lives including those of women and children. The protest marches, according to the participants, are aimed at preventing such rumour-mongering and the recurrence of mob violence. Shymasakhi, a housewife from Bishnupur district, pointed out that in many instances the police “fails to protect the accused persons.” ‘Contempt of court’A. Romenkumar, a retired IPS officer who is now a high court lawyer, told The Hindu that mob violence had reached even into court precincts. He referred to increasing incidents of persons accused of rape or murder and other heinous crimes being thrashed in the court premises, acts which he said amounted to contempt of court.“Adequate security measures should be taken so that the potential trouble makers are not allowed inside the court compound,” he added.Chief Minister N. Biren, who also holds the Home portfolio, had recently said that the State government had set up a fast track court keeping in mind “the gravity of the issue.” The aim was to ensure that persons accused of rape-cum-murder were convicted within a few months. He cited the case of a tribal youth in Manipur’s Senapati district, who had been convicted in July for raping and murdering a young girl and sentenced to death.last_img read more

2012 Trans Tasman Player Profiles

first_imgTo view, please visit the following website and click on ‘2012 Player Profiles’ in the top menu:http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=14-6460-0-0-0 There are plenty of ways to keep in touch with the 2012 Trans Tasman Series, which will be held at Mudgee’s Glen Willow Regional Sporting Complex from Thursday, 26 April to Saturday, 28 April 2012, including in the following ways:Websites:www.austouch.com.auhttp://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=14-6460-0-0-0 Facebook – www.facebook.com/touchfootballaustraliaTwitter – www.twitter.com/touchfootyaus (be sure to use the hashtag #transtasman2012 in your tweets)YouTube – www.youtube.com/touchfootballauslast_img

10 months agoNice chief Julien Fournier a target for Southampton

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Nice chief Julien Fournier a target for Southamptonby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveNice chief Julien Fournier is a target for Southampton.The Daily Mail says Fournier, the general manager of French club Nice, is lined up to be the next director of football at Southampton.The vastly experienced 44-year-old who played a key role in persuading Patrick Vieira to become Nice’s manager, has worked previously as secretary general of Marseille and was the youngest president of Strasbourg.Southampton sacked Les Reed as vice-chairman in November and technical director Martin Hunter.The club’s Chinese owner, Gao Jisheng and his family, who took control in the summer of last year, have been working on a restructure of the club after appointing highly-rated Ralph Hasenhuttl as manager. last_img read more

St. James Municipal Corporation Plans for Early Flood Warning System

first_imgAs part of its disaster-preparedness strategy, the St. James Municipal Corporation is seeking to establish an early flood-warning system in Montego Bay, aimed at providing advanced information on flooding.In an interview with JIS News, Mayor of Montego Bay and Chairman of the St. James Municipal Corporation, Councillor Homer Davis, said the system “will alert citizens and business operators when a flood is imminent for Montego Bay”.The Mayor emphasised that the system is needed, as Montego Bay, being a coastal town, is easily inundated during heavy rains.Councillor Davis said the projected cost to implement the system is $10 million, and preliminary consultation has commenced with various stakeholders regarding the project.“It is a work in progress, and that is something we are hoping to get the necessary funding for, because it is an expensive system. We are probably looking at seven to 10 million dollars, but it will be money well spent,” he added.He pointed out that documents are being prepared in order to approach international funding agencies for grant assistance.“The Inter-American Development Bank is interested in climate change; the Canadian Government is interested in climate change. So we are presently putting that document together, so we can begin to pursue grant funding to do this project,” the Mayor outlined.In the meantime, the Mayor told JIS News that he welcomes plans by the Government to commission an engineering company to assess the city’s drains, with a view to improving them.last_img read more

Hospital Foundation announces two new team members

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Fort St. John Hospital Foundation announced last week that two new members have joined their team.Foundation executive director Niki Hedges said that Jessica Cotton has been brought on to serve as the Foundation’s new Special Events and Administration Coordinator, while Megan Brooks will be working in Donor Relations.Cotton previously spent the past two years on the provincial executive board for Kin Canada and a member and past president of our local Kin Club, to raise funds and equity for associations including Kin Canada, Cystic Fibrosis Canada, STARS Air Ambulance, the Hal Rogers Endowment Fund, among others. She also ran some of the local Kin Club’s events, including RocKin the Peace 2018 and the 2019 Kin Convention.Most of Brooks’ family lives in Fort St. John and have been entrepreneurs and landowners since the community was founded. Her great-grandfather opened the very first general store in Fort St. John originally located in his log cabin, when his business expanded he decided to open up shop where Whole Wheat & Honey is today. Brooks has a background of small business as a Graphic Designer and headed, designed and implemented several promotional and marketing campaigns and had also worked as a care aide for adults with developmental disabilities.The Foundation also announced several big upcoming events in October and November.Shoppers Drug Mart “Women in Health” Fundraiser for the Fort St. John Hospital Foundation, October 6th – November 2ndThe Annual West Jet Raffle, Friday, October 12thBe an Angel Gala at the Pomeroy Hotel and Conference Centre, Saturday, November 3rdThe 15th Annual Moose FM “Light a Moose Radiothon” November 28th – 30thThe Foundation will also be hosting its Annual General Meeting on September 19th. In order to be eligible to vote at the AGM, a $10 fee must be paid at least 30 days in advance, with the deadline set for August 17th.last_img read more

AAP politicising cow will lodge plaint with EC BJP

first_imgNew Delhi: The Delhi BJP on Tuesday alleged that the Aam Aadmi Party was trying to incite communal tensions by “politicising the cow” and said it would lodge a complaint with the Election Commission.The BJP’s reaction came on a tweet by AAP Lok Sabha poll candidate Raghav Chadha in which he wrote “door to door campaigning by BJP” and posted a photo of a cow and a calf standing at the doorstep of a house. The post has been liked by Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, BJP leader Vijender Gupta said. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murder”We have taken an appointment with the Election Commission of India and will apprise them about how the AAP is politicising the cow, which is a symbol of harmony, and trying to create communal tension,” Gupta, who is also the Leader of Opposition in the Delhi assembly, told reporters.The tweet is a violation of the model code of conduct (MCC) and the Delhi BJP will lodge a complaint with the poll panel on Wednesday, he said. BJP MP Ramesh Bidhuri said complaints have been filed at the Govindpuri, Pul Prahladpur and Sangam Vihar police stations against the AAP for trying to incite communal tension through Chadha’s tweet. “We will urge the Election Commission (EC) to invalidate the AAP and urge them to ensure that FIRs are filed on these complaints. “His (Chadha) said act has not only hurt the religious sentiments of the Hindus but has also intended to create mutual hatred, differences and cause tension between different religions,” he said.last_img read more

Egypt Brotherhood vows protests despite terror listing

first_imgCAIRO – A leader of the Muslim Brotherhood vowed that the movement would keep up protests after Egypt’s military-installed government designated it a “terrorist” group on Wednesday.“The protests will continue, certainly,” Ibrahim Munir, a member of the group’s top guidance council who is in exile in London, told AFP, adding the government’s decision was “illegitimate.”last_img

Sturridge happy to contribute to Reds win

first_imgDaniel Sturridge has expressed his delight in contributing to Liverpool’s 3-2 win over Paris Saint-Germain at Anfield.Sturridge started ahead of Roberto Firmino due to his eye injury in what was his first start for Liverpool this season.It was the first Champions League start for Sturridge since 2012 during Chelsea’s European winning campaign.However, that decision paid off when the former Chelsea man powered the Reds in front with a pinpoint header.Klopp’s men doubled their money from the spot thanks to James Milner, but the Parisians clawed themselves back into the game with Meunier’s strike before half-time before Mbappe completed the comeback.Firmino who came in for Sturridge made headlines with a late winner to ensure a perfect start to their Champions League campaign this season.Roberto Firmino, LiverpoolVirgil van Dijk praises Roberto Firmino after Liverpool’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Virgil van Dijk hailed team-mate Roberto Firmino after coming off the bench to inspire Liverpool to a 3-1 comeback win against Newcastle United.He went further to talk about Liverpool’s chances of a silverware this campaign and previous experiences.“The last time was for Chelsea when we won it, so it is great to contribute to the team today, but it’s early days so we aren’t going to get ahead of ourselves,” Sturridge said.“It is a team here and everybody is going to add to the wealth of the club.”He added: “It was great to score and it was a great ball by this man here [Robertson].“Him and Trent (Alexander-Arnold) have got a competition going on, so it was good to help him out.”Liverpool now sit top of their group after Red Star Belgrade and Napoli played out a 0-0 draw.last_img read more

Gianfranco Zola sympathises with Eden Hazards frustrations

first_imgChelsea assistant coach Gianfranco Zola claims that even though Eden Hazard may not be known for his industry off the ball, Chelsea still needs him to assist the team.The Belgium winger hasn’t really impressed in all his outing this term after he was deployed by new coach Sarri to play as a false nine.Chelsea defeated Tottenham 2-1 on penalties to reach the EFL Cup final on Thursday with Hazard scoring the Blues’ second goal in a second leg.“I was very much like Eden,” Zola told reporters, according to FourFourTwo.“I was a very positive player, I liked to move around the pitch, find the spots on the pitch where I could receive the ball, turn and make the damage to the opposition.Premier LeaguePremier League Betting: Match-day 5 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Going into the Premier League’s match-day five with a gap already beginning to form at the top of the league. We will take a…“I was very, very similar and I do understand that. I believe we try to give him this but also to be an organised team defensively and offensively. Especially offensively. That’s why we ask Eden sometimes to put himself about in working hard.“I know that’s not his best quality. We understand that sometimes he needs to be fresh when he receives the ball. There is no doubt that we are on the same page. We want to find a common ground where he can get the best out of himself and the team can benefit from him.“Not only when he is scoring goals but when we have moments in the game where we need everybody to defend and everybody to press. That’s exactly what we are trying to do. Eden, I think, I have to be fair that he has been doing it.“He has been trying to do it. We are very demanding because we want to do it all the time. I am sure that we will find a compromise. I am not in a position to criticise a player like Eden. We believe, Maurizio said one thing, that the potential of Hazard is greater than the performances.“So he is not criticising what Eden is doing but he believes he can do much more for himself and the team. That’s all he is saying. This is the situation he wants Hazard to understand. Again, when we see his performances we look forward to seeing more and more.”last_img read more