David De Gea’s time at Manchester United might not be coming to an end too soon, according to reports in Spain.The Spanish goalkeeper watched his dream move to Real Madrid collapse in the final moments of transfer deadline day.United lay the blame at the door of Madrid and the La Liga giants deflected the fault straight back to Old Trafford.Either way, De Gea is stuck in Manchester until the end of the 2015/16 season but can discuss a free transfer away as soon as January.However, United have offered the shotstopper a bumper new deal that is more lucrative than the one offered up by the Galacticos and reports in Spain say the No.1 is not against signing it.Louis van Gaal might even be using the knowledge that De Gea needs to be playing regularly over the next season to guarantee his position as Spain’s first-choice glovesman in the 2016 Euros in France next summer as leverage. 1 Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea
1 Theo Walcott Theo Walcott sees no reason why England cannot challenge for the European Championship crown after becoming the first nation to qualify for next summer’s finals.Roy Hodgson’s men have responded impressively to last year’s disappointing World Cup, winning all seven of their qualifying matches during a long, unbeaten run.Saturday’s 6-0 triumph in San Marino continued that fine run and those three points were enough to secure the Three Lions’ place at the finals with three matches to spare.England have caught the eye at times during the qualification campaign and, while accepting improvements still need to be made, Walcott believes next summer could be a tournament to remember.“I think this team is getting better and better, and that’s what we want to do going into the tournament next year,” he said after coming off the bench to net a quick-fire brace in Serravalle.“We’ve gone a long way towards that, so I am sure things are going to improve.“There are big tests for us, but I believe in that dressing room and just the way we are playing as well.“We are playing in the best league in the world, we’re improving every day, the players are playing at the top of their game.“It’ll definitely be a big achievement if we can go far. I am sure that we can. The manager has got that in our system, that he believes in us.“The belief is there, the confidence is there, so why not?”
Real Madrid goalkeeper Keylor Navas has spoken out on the emotions he felt following the collapse of his proposed move to Manchester United.Navas was all set to head to Old Trafford on transfer deadline, with David De Gea going the other way, but the deal dramatically fell through due to paperwork issues.De Gea has since signed a new deal at United while Navas has kept his place between the sticks at Real.And the Costa Rican has now admitted that he felt delighted that a move away from the Bernabeu did not materalise.“I cried that night when I found out I was staying, it was a build-up of emotions. I didn’t want to leave, Madrid is my home,” Navas told Spanish radio station Cadena COPE.“I never wanted to leave Real Madrid. My agent told me to be alert to my phone. We had to go to Barajas, although I never actually got on a plane, I was in a waiting room.“I thought that if God wanted me to leave Madrid, it would be for the best, but he didn’t want me to and I’m still here.”Navas had even signed a contract with United before the deal was pulled – and the 28-year-old is now even more determined to make his mark at Real.“I signed the Manchester United contract on a stretcher at Valdebebas while I had my medical, but I want to write my own story at this club and win everything this season. We have things to improve, but we’re on the right path,” he said. 1 Keylor Navas
1 The only way is up for Jose Mourinho and Chelsea? Jose Mourinho has attributed Chelsea’s re-found steel to a collective willingness to defend.The previously robust Premier League holders have been meek in defence this season, contributing to their miserable campaign so far.But four clean sheets in five games – against Norwich, Maccabi Tel Aviv, Tottenham and Porto – has revived Mourinho’s confidence, with the Bournemouth loss last weekend considered a blip.Mourinho, who takes his side to free-scoring Leicester on Monday night, said: “The tactical adjustments are minimal compared with the global attitude.“I always say the same: you defend with 11 players, you have more chances to defend well.“In this moment our team is working well and hard defensively, the attacking players are doing their job.“When I say everybody has to defend, I’m not saying my striker has to defend a cross in the face of my goal.“I expect my striker to put pressure on the players that are trying to make the build up.“Everyone has a job to do and when everybody does their job, it’s easier.”Mourinho says it is not down to specific personnel, as individuals in the starting line-up have changed in recent weeks.“You cannot go to the faces, because the faces change and the performances are still there,” Mourinho added.“We changed the goalkeeper (to Thibaut Courtois), but (Asmir) Begovic also had a clean sheet against Tottenham.“You change (Cesc) Fabregas for Ramires, but with Fabregas we also had a cleansheet.“You change (Gary) Cahill with John (Terry). With Cahill we also had cleansheets.“So it’s not about the faces. It’s about the global attitude.“Small tactical adjustments, but the attitude I think is the most important thing.”
Matteo Darmian 1 Louis van Gaal confirms Matteo Darmian has a dislocated shoulder and will be out for “several weeks”. #mufc— Manchester United (@ManUtd) February 13, 2016 Matteo Darmian is set for a spell on the sidelines, Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has confirmed. The Italian right-back sustained the injury in the first-half of the defeat at Sunderland, his 29th appearance for the club this season since arriving in the summer.The Dutch boss confirmed he has a disclocated shoulder and is set to be out for ‘several weeks’. He said: “When you analyse the things that have happened to Manchester United his season, it’s unbelievable.“Another full-back who is injured and we don’t have many full-backs left.”His absence will come as a cruel blow for Van Gaal and United, as his side have been hit by a number of injuries – in defence in particular, and they remain six points adrift of fourth spot in the Premier League.
11 Joint 4th. Liverpool have won eight points from from losing positions in the Premier League 11 Joint 8th. Chelsea have won seven points from losing positions in the Premier League Joint 4th. West Bromwich Albion have won eight points from losing positions in the Premier League 11 Joint 4th. Swansea City have won eight points from losing positions in the Premier League 11 11 11 11 Joint 8th. Everton have won seven points from losing positions in the Premier League 2nd. Leicester City, at the top of the table, have won 10 points from losing positions in the Premier League Joint 4th. Arsenal have won eight points from losing positions in the Premier League Joint 8th. Manchester City have won seven points from losing positions in the Premier League It was another exciting weekend of Premier League action.While Manchester United’s 3-2 victory over Arsenal has stolen the headlines, Tottenham Hotspur’s win over Swansea City maintained excitement in one of the most unpredictable title races in history.Spurs came from behind to win 2-1 at White Hart Lane, keeping themselves in touching distance of leaders Leicester City.And this wasn’t the first time that Mauricio Pochettino’s men have fought back to seal victory this season.But how does their record from losing positions compare to others?Take a look at the top 11 clubs that have won the most points after falling behind in England’s top flight this term by clicking the yellow arrow above, right.Stats correct up to 29 February 2016. 1st. Tottenham Hotspur, two points off table toppers Leicester, lead the way having won 17 points from losing positions in the Premier League Joint 8th. Sunderland have won seven points from losing positions in the Premier League so far the season – click the arrow above to see who comes in next 3rd. West Ham United have won nine points from losing positions in the Premier League 11 11 11 11
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre Canucks: Vancouver will be without two of its top defensemen, losing Kevin Bieksa to a calf injury and Sami Salo to a broken nose during a 3-0 loss to Nashville. Bieksa will miss up to eight weeks. Islanders: Al Arbour, the Hall of Fame coach who guided the Mike Bossy and Bryan Trottier-led Islanders to four straight Stanley Cup titles from 1980-83, has been given a gift by the team 13 years after he said good-bye for the second time. Tonight he will step back into his familiar role as coach for one more game – No. 1,500 with the franchise that he helped make famous. Hurricanes: Defenseman Niclas Wallin was expected to be sidelined about a month because of a right shoulder injury that will require surgery. Rangers: A judge refused to block the NHL from taking control of New York’s Web site despite claims that the league is acting like “an illegal cartel” by controlling team promotions. U.S. District Judge Loretta A. Preska said that the NHL seemed on solid legal ground when it decided to take control of its clubs’ Web sites to strengthen the quality of its Internet relationship with fans and advertisers. Sharks: San Jose signed defenseman Sandis Ozolinsh, adding the seven-time All-Star to their roster after a six-week tryout. Ozolinsh fought injuries while scoring just three points in 21 games for the Rangers last season. From news services Ottawa center Jason Spezza agreed to a $49 million, seven-year contract extension Friday that allowed the Senators to lock up the final member of its potent first line. The 24-year-old would have been a restricted free agent after this season but now will be with the team through 2014-15. He joins Daniel Alfredsson, who is signed through 2011-12, and Dany Heatley, who agreed to a $45 million, six-year extension through 2013-14 last month, as franchise cornerstones. Around the league 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Inter Milan and AC Milan have joined Tottenham in the race to land Lille midfielder Sofiane Boufal.The Morocco international has netted 12 goals in 32 appearances for the Ligue 1 side this term and is now on the radar of some of Europe’s elite clubs.According to Calciomercato, a fee of around £7.8m will be enough to persuade Lille into selling the 22-year-old, and it is understood the two Milan clubs have both held preliminary talks with the player’s representatives.However, Tottenham have the financial muscle to better any offer made from the Milan clubs, while the guarantee of Champions League football at White Hart Lane next year could also prove to be a decisive factor in the deal. Sofiane Boufal: The 22-year-old is attracting interest from across Europe 1
Juventus general manager Giuseppe Marotta says there is a ’50 per cent’ chance the club will keep hold of Arsenal and Real Madrid target Alvaro Morata.The striker has bagged 26 goals in two seasons for the Italian champions but he has been linked with a move away this summer.Real Madrid have the option to buy the Spaniard back, while Arsenal want to lure him to the Emirates after trying to sign him before he joined Juventus in 2014.And with interest growing every day, Marotta claims it is 50-50 whether or not the 23-year-old will stay in Turin.“Morata? We’ll have to meet with Real Madrid, but at the moment they’re busy preparing for the Champions League final,” Moratta told reporters in Italy.“We’ll talk after the final. Will he stay? 50 per cent.” 1 Alvaro Morata has netted 26 goals for Juventus this season
Here are the top transfer-related stories in Thursday’s newspapers and online…Leicester officials are increasingly concerned star midfielder N’Golo Kante could be prised away by Arsenal this summer. The 25-year-old has a buy-out clause, believed to be around £20million, in his contract. Arsenal have already registered an interest and Kante has given no assurances yet he will stay with the champions for next season. (Daily Mirror)Chelsea are determined to spend big this summer to ensure they spend only one season out of Europe’s premier club competition. Incoming coach Antonio Conte has a long list of transfer targets including Paul Pogba, Radja Nainggolan, Leonardo Bonucci, Kostas Manolas, Romelu Lukaku, Gonzalo Higuain and Edinson Cavani. The club will also make another attempt to sign Everton’s John Stones having had four bids rejected last summer. (London Evening Standard)John Terry agreed a £100,000-a-week pay cut to stay at Chelsea under new boss Antonio Conte. (The Sun)Andre Gomes is set to be offered to Manchester United in the summer transfer window. The 22-year-old has scored nine goals in 77 appearances for Valencia since signing from Benfica in 2015 but is now being heavily linked with a move to Old Trafford. (Metro)Saúl Ñiguez has signed a new deal with Atletico Madrid that will keep him out of the hands of suitors until 2021. Manchester United and Arsenal had shown an interest in the versatile midfielder. But the club had always insisted that the Atleti youth product would remain with the club and he’s received a significant salary hike by extending his contract by a further year. (Daily Mirror)Ronald Koeman is ready to wait another year before leaving Southampton – and that will be a huge blow for managerless Everton. Boss Koeman, who is fiercely ambitious and has his sights on getting a top job in the future, believes a bigger club might be interested in him next summer. (Daily Mirror)Aston Villa’s new Far East owners have held talks with former Chelsea player and boss Roberto Di Matteo about taking over as manager. (Daily Mirror)Crystal Palace are interested in West Ham’s James Tomkins. Sunderland are also big fans of the 27-year-old defender, who can play as a centre-back or right-back. (Daily Mirror)Emmanuel Adebayor has confirmed he is quitting Crystal Palace after the FA Cup final. The Togo striker, 32, joined on a free in January but has struggled to get into the side and has scored just one goal. (Daily Mirror)Reece Oxford wants £40,000 a week and a £1million signing-on fee to commit his future to West Ham. The blossoming defender and the club are at a stand-off over a new three-year contract, although the England Under-19s star denies he has rejected any firm deal. Manchester City and Manchester United are monitoring his situation. (The Sun)And here are the latest talkSPORT.com headlines…?West Ham transfer news: Paris Saint-Germain ready to hijack Hammers’ pursuit of Alexandre Lacazette with £40m bidBayern Munich tell Liverpool they can sign Mario Gotze for JUST £20MILLION this summer – reportsLiverpool transfer news: Mario Balotelli targeted by La Liga side Espanyol after AC Milan loan spell endsTransfer report: Arsenal among trio of clubs chasing £12million Empoli midfielder Riccardo SaponaraSunderland and West Brom to battle for ‘best defender in Eredivisie’ – Feyenoord’s Terence KongoloJose Mourinho latest: Fenerbahce ready to offer in-demand manager £12m-a-year to snub Manchester United jobArsenal transfer report: Gunners to launch huge £51m bid for Juventus ace Alvaro MorataRomelu Lukaku will leave Everton before Euro 2016 and is keen on Manchester United move, says striker’s father